P0103 Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit High
Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High
What does that mean?
This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that it applies to OBD-II equipped vehicles that have a mass airflow sensor. Brands include but are not limited to Toyota, Infiniti, Nissan, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, Dodge, Hyundai, Chevy, Ford, etc. Although generic, the specific repair steps may vary depending on make/model.
The MAF (mass air flow) sensor is a sensor mounted in a vehicle's engine air intake tract downstream from the air filter, and is used to measure the volume and density of air being drawn into the engine. The MAF sensor itself only measures a portion of the air entering and that value is used to calculate the total volume and density of air being ingested.
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses that reading along with other sensor parameters to ensure proper fuel delivery at any given time for optimum power and fuel efficiency.
This P0103 diagnostic trouble code (DTC) means that there is a high condition detected in the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. The PCM detects that the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not performing within the normal expected range of the calculated MAF value.
Note: Some MAF sensors also incorporate an air temperature sensor, which is another value used by the PCM for optimal engine operation.
Photo of a MAF sensor:
What are some possible symptoms?
Symptoms of a P0103 code may include:
- Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illumination (a.k.a. check engine light)
- Rough running engine
- Black smoke from tail pipe
- Engine hard start or stalling after it starts
- Possible other driveability symptoms or even no symptoms
What are some potential causes?
Potential causes for this trouble code may include:
- Dirty or contaminated mass air flow sensor
- Failed MAF sensor
- Intake air leaks
- MAF sensor electrical harness or wiring problem (open, shorted, frayed, poor connection, etc.)
Note that other codes may be present if you have a P0103. You may have misfire codes or O2 sensor codes, so it's important to take a "big picture" look at how the systems work together and effect each other when doing a diagnosis.
What can I do to diagnose and repair a P0103 engine code?
- Visually inspect all MAF sensor wiring and connectors to make sure they are intact, not frayed, broken, routed too close to ignition wires/coils, relays, motors, etc.
- Visually inspect for any obvious air leaks in the air intake system
- Visually *closely* inspect the MAF sensor wires or film to see if you can see contamination such as dirt, dust, oil, etc.
- If the air filter is dirty, replace it with a new original equipment filter from the dealer
- Carefully clean the MAF using MAF cleaner spray is generally a good DIY friendly diagnostic/repair step
- If the air intake system has a mesh in it, make sure that is also clean (VWs mainly)
- Loss of vacuum to the MAP sensor can trigger this DTC
- A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor.
- Use a scan tool to monitor real-time sensor values from the MAF sensor, O2 sensors, etc.
- Check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for your particular make/model in case of known issues on your vehicle
- The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON.
- A high resistance on the ground circuit of the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set
If you do need to replace the MAF sensor, we recommend using an original equipment OEM one from the manufacturer rather than buying an aftermarket part.
Note: The use of a reusable oiled air filter could be a cause of this code, if it is over-oiled. Oil can transfer to the fine wire or film inside the MAF sensor and contaminate it. Use something such as MAF cleaner spray to clean the MAF in such situations. We do not recommend the use of oiled air filters.
Related P0103 DTC Discussions
- 2002 3.8L Pontiac GPX (P0172, P0101 and P0103)
Hello, I have been having some rough starting, rough idle and stalling issues. I have printed off the P0172 page and started to replace items. Two weeks agao I got MAP codes. 1. So I replaced the MAP. It still had a stalling issue/rough idle. 2. So I changed the Idle control, PCV, cleaned my air fi...
- 2002 Hyundai accent L 1.5 P0103
Put in a new MAF sensor but code still remains for MAF sensor high voltage. Using scan tool, the airflow rate=920 cf/m and the intake air temp reads -40°F at idle. Both readings are way out of the norm. Not sure what to do next, any ideas would be appreciated. P.S. I traced back the wires for MAF se...
- 2003 Mazda Protege P0300, P0401, P0113, P0103, P0102
Hey, I have a 2003 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 Liter and it is having some issues. It usually runs fine until I let it idle. It idles at about 200 RPM (sounds like it is almost dying but stays alive). The check engine light doesn't come on. So I changed the spark plugs (gapped them to exactly .75mm whi...
- 2002 Chevy Cavalier Check Engine light Code P0103
02 Chevy cavalier 2.2 Check Engine code P0103 Mass Air flow circuit voltage high the problem is whenever I went to my local Chevrolet dealer to buy a new MAF SENSOR the counterman informed me that my vehicle DOESNT have a MAF SENSOR ??? Help...
- 2005 Duramax 6.6 P0103 help
I have no clue where to begin looking for the solution to this code. Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit High Voltage is the description of the code, I've looked on various forums and i cant seem to find a definite cause. Ive cleaned the MAF several times with MAF cleaner. I seem to only get this c...
- Corolla with MAF codes p0171 p0100 p0101 p0103
I have a 2000 corolla that I bought last fall. It had soft codes that didn't store. Now it has hard codes 0171, 0100, 0101, 0103. Today it started chugging and lurching during hard acceleration. I was a Toyota technician 10 years ago, but never really dealt with this particular model. It has 11...
- Discovery 2 V8 - P0134, P0135, P0150, P0155, P0101, P0505, P0103, P1174, P0327
Hi all, I have a list of issues as described in the subject line. I have replaced both upstream sensors and CAT Convertor but still have these fault codes. The funny thing is that the RH upstream O2 sensor read 0.00 volts while LH sensor shows 0.44. When I un-plug the RH sensor connector, the r...
- 2001 Mazda MPV p0103 & p0174 codes
recently, this minivan has a P0103 & P0174 code. researched about the codes and MAF sensor seems like the common denominator between these 2 codes although according to Mazda, P0174 affected part is the fuel injection system where fuel trim system too lean while the 103 has the MAF as the part ...
- 2006 Cadillac CTS P0103 Code after MAF replacement
The car is a 2006 Cadillac CTS Engine code is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit High Input Light is on and I scanned it this. I removed the MAF and cleaned it and the wiring harness. Removed the signal wire from the wrap to check for frays or opens. Tested the line and it was good to go. Reinstalle...
- Ford fiesta - P0103 with freeze frame P0304
Ford fiesta 2004 1.4 manual 40000 miles. Has very stuttery engine. P0103 logged as a fault code and shows P0304 in the freeze frame data. Has a TMAP sensor rather than a MAF sensor, Replacing the TMAP sensor has made no difference. Spark plug and HT lead to cylinder 4 seem fine. Someone has suggeste...
Need more help with a p0103 code?
If you still need help regarding the P0103 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected.