P0102 Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit Low
Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low
What does that mean?
This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that it applies to OBD-II equipped vehicles that have a mass airflow sensor. Brands include but are not limited to Toyota, Infiniti, Nissan, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, Dodge, Hyundai, Chevy, Ford, etc. Although generic, the specific repair steps may vary depending on make/model.
The MAF (mass air flow) sensor is a sensor mounted in a vehicle's engine air intake tract downstream from the air filter, and is used to measure the volume and density of air being drawn into the engine. The MAF sensor itself only measures a portion of the air entering and that value is used to calculate the total volume and density of air being ingested.
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses that reading along with other sensor parameters to ensure proper fuel delivery at any given time for optimum power and fuel efficiency.
This P0102 diagnostic trouble code (DTC) means that there is a low condition detected in the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. The PCM detects that the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not performing within the normal expected range of the calculated MAF value.
Note: Some MAF sensors also incorporate an air temperature sensor, which is another value used by the PCM for optimal engine operation.
Photo of a MAF sensor:
What are some possible symptoms?
Symptoms of a P0102 code may include:
- Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illumination (a.k.a. check engine light)
- Rough running engine
- Black smoke from tail pipe
- Engine hard start or stalling after it starts
- Possible other driveability symptoms or even no symptoms
What are some potential causes?
Potential causes for this trouble code may include:
- Dirty or contaminated mass air flow sensor
- Failed MAF sensor
- Intake air leaks
- MAF sensor electrical harness or wiring problem (open, shorted, frayed, poor connection, etc.)
Note that other codes may be present if you have a P0102. You may have misfire codes or O2 sensor codes, so it's important to take a "big picture" look at how the systems work together and effect each other when doing a diagnosis.
What can I do to diagnose and repair a P0102 engine code?
- Visually inspect all MAF sensor wiring and connectors to make sure they are intact, not frayed, broken, routed too close to ignition wires/coils, relays, motors, etc.
- Visually inspect for any obvious air leaks in the air intake system
- Visually *closely* inspect the MAF sensor wires or film to see if you can see contamination such as dirt, dust, oil, etc.
- If the air filter is dirty, replace it with a new original equipment filter from the dealer
- Carefully clean the MAF using MAF cleaner spray is generally a good DIY friendly diagnostic/repair step
- If the air intake system has a mesh in it, make sure that is also clean (VWs mainly)
- Loss of vacuum to the MAP sensor can trigger this DTC
- A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor.
- Use a scan tool to monitor real-time sensor values from the MAF sensor, O2 sensors, etc.
- Check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for your particular make/model in case of known issues on your vehicle
- The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON.
- A high resistance on the ground circuit of the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set
If you do need to replace the MAF sensor, we recommend using an original equipment OEM one from the manufacturer rather than buying an aftermarket part.
Note: The use of a reusable oiled air filter could be a cause of this code, if it is over-oiled. Oil can transfer to the fine wire or film inside the MAF sensor and contaminate it. Use something such as MAF cleaner spray to clean the MAF in such situations. We do not recommend the use of oiled air filters.
Related P0102 DTC Discussions
- 1996 Chevy c2500 5.7 p0102
Trying to help friend. Vehicle runs good but after it starts to warm up, it throws obd p0102. He changed the engine knox sensor and replaced the ecm. He readjusted the timing and was able to drive it a couple of miles before the check engine light illuminated. Normally, it comes on right after ...
- 2005 Lincoln Town Car Multiple Codes P0102 P0174 P0351 P0352 P0353 P0354 P2106 P2195 P0183 P0194
2005 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L engine having Coil On Plug (COP) ignition I'm getting misfire codes on the entire right (passenger) bank. The entire list of codes minus pending duplicates): ------ PO102 problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. A more technical description would be that th...
- Four codes (P0102, P0113, P0303, P0316 ), where to start?
Hi to all, Yesterday I scanned my wife's 2003 Mustang and go 4 codes: P0102, P0113, P0303 and P0316. Where to start? I believe fixing one could eventually "fix" other one as well. Any help appreciated, ammtar...
- 2001 Chevy S10 Code p0102
I have a 2001 Chevy S10 4.3 liter it died on me and there was no fuel pressure so I changed the fuel pump and still on fuel pressure. I check for codes and I got a code p0102 mass or volume air flow circuit low input. Will this code cause it not to start and what is my next steps?...
- 96 GMC Safari AWD code P0102 - Van wont start
I have a 1996 GMC Safari AWD van with a 4.3L engine. It was running fine, the "service Engine Soon" light had come on, and the engine died, as if it was turned off. I got a code reader and the only code I got was P0102 Mass air flow circuit low. can the MAS stop it from running? or could t...
- VW Cabrio 2001, 2000cc / P0102 and P1476 -HELP !
Hi, I have a cabrio which I ahve owned all of a week! and it has broken down! The orange engine light came on, the diagnostic centre got these codes - P0102 and P1476. It has been in the garage for 2 days and now they have called and told me that I need a new sensor which will cost me 800 USD ...
- Tracker 2003 code P0102
GM: Tracker 2003, 2.5 V6 MAF sensor don't work and there's a black smoke coming out of tailpipe we already put a new sensor and tried another ECM and nothing change, what I notice is on the purge solenoid harness when I run the engine both wires have "+"current, and I was checking the wire...
- 1998 VW Cabrio code p0102
Knowing what the code is dosent help..... Anyway, here is the situation. I cleaned the sensor, bought a new MAF, checked the hoses, disconnected everything save the MAF on the inlet hose, checked the wires, checked the voltage, checked the ohms, ran without the air filter, and still after every...
- Mazda Miata 2000 P0102 P0123 P1771
Hey guys. I am way out of my league and looking for some help. I have a Maxda miata with a problem. Symptoms are engine running and rpms stable but no power transferred to wheels, so car starts slowing down. Then it catches, doesn't catch for a stuttering motion. Problem starts after 2-3 hrs dr...
- P0102 and p0325 codes, 97 subaru
first the car 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport auto tranny, everything stock, no mods ==== [b:3uvy4gjf]P0325 [/b:3uvy4gjf] knock sensor code my CEL came on, took it to autozone so they could read me the code, since it was intermittent, usually only when it was really humid, out so i figu...
Need more help with a p0102 code?
If you still need help regarding the P0102 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected.