2011 chevy cruze code P0496

Also including Oldsmobile, Geo, Hummer, and Saturn (North American brands)
kyoshi

2011 chevy cruze code P0496

Postby kyoshi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:08 pm

The solution to this seems to be to replace the purge solenoid valve. I have a 2011 chevy cruze. Where is this valve located and does anyone have a diagram?

kev2

Re: code P0496

Postby kev2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:04 pm

first thought warranty?

kyoshi

Re: 2011 chevy cruze code P0496

Postby kyoshi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:21 pm

over 100,000 mi!

autojoe

Postby autojoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am

the solution to any problem is to test component or system.if you dont have necessary testing equipment then you take to a shop that does or you just start replacing parts.this code does not mean it is the evap purge solenoid that is defective.it very well may be bad but other components or things can cause this code.

DTC P0496
evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge
Circuit/System Description

This DTC tests for continuous intake manifold vacuum flow to the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system. The engine control module (ECM) seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Closed and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Closed. The ECM monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is greater than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The fuel tank pressure sensor indicates vacuum during a non-purge condition.
The EVAP system tests run when engine is first started and meets the Conditions for Running the DTC. An intermittent condition could be caused by an improperly installed or damaged EVAP canister purge solenoid valve.

there is a purge solenoid/vent solenoid/pressure sensor in tank/charcoal canister/gas tank and interconnecting hoses plus electrical circuits for vent and purge solenoids.
email me and i send send you replacement info.....i tried to add picture but would not let me.the purge solenoid sits on the top of engine towards back.not hard to replace.2 hoses and an electrical connector.

kev2

Postby kev2 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:59 am

wow I did not think that hi a mileage.... which engine ?

flint_ndt

Postby flint_ndt » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:39 pm

autojoe wrote:the solution to any problem is to test component or system.if you dont have necessary testing equipment then you take to a shop that does or you just start replacing parts.this code does not mean it is the evap purge solenoid that is defective.it very well may be bad but other components or things can cause this code.

DTC P0496
evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge
Circuit/System Description

This DTC tests for continuous intake manifold vacuum flow to the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system. The engine control module (ECM) seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Closed and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Closed. The ECM monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is greater than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The fuel tank pressure sensor indicates vacuum during a non-purge condition.
The EVAP system tests run when engine is first started and meets the Conditions for Running the DTC. An intermittent condition could be caused by an improperly installed or damaged EVAP canister purge solenoid valve.

there is a purge solenoid/vent solenoid/pressure sensor in tank/charcoal canister/gas tank and interconnecting hoses plus electrical circuits for vent and purge solenoids.
email me and i send send you replacement info.....i tried to add picture but would not let me.the purge solenoid sits on the top of engine towards back.not hard to replace.2 hoses and an electrical connector.

I am getting the same code on my 2011 cruze. Also out of warranty(38,000mi). I replaced the $25 EVAP EMIS CNSTR PURGE SOL(ACDelco #214-2320) that my dealer wanted to charge me $250 to replace. I have only driven it 50 miles since I replaced it, but I still have the DTC, will I need to get the codes cleared or will it clear if the replacement part fixed the issue? Some other background info I am also getting bad gas mileage. I was at 39mpg now at 31mpg. After filling up the gas gauge is slow to respond and corrects itself after 5-10 minutes.

If this was not the issue what is the next logical part to replace? SOLENOID,EVAP EMIS CNSTR VNT SOL (ACDelco #214-2230)

Return to “GM: Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Cadillac”