P0442 small & P0455 large evap emission control sys leak

morghem

P0442 small & P0455 large evap emission control sys leak

Postby morghem » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:49 pm

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with 3.7 L v6 & automatic trans. It has 38K Miles check engin light is on. The OBD scaner shows the following 2 codes:
1. P0442 evap emission control system leak (small).
2. P0455 evap emission control system leak (large).
The truck runs Ok. What are the possible causes for the above codes and the best way to fix this problem.
Oh, the truck was flooded last year in a rain storm. Please help...

Frank

darrylackerman

Postby darrylackerman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:06 pm

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:33 pm

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6, that had the same two codes. Check all your Evap hoses from under the hood, all the way back to the gas tank. I fixed mine by reparing a split hose that attaches to the Evap cannister which on mine is located inside the frame on the driver's side just before the gas tank. It is about an inch in diameter hose. I just cut the split part out re-attached the hose, and haven't seen the Mil light on for about three weeks now. Hope this helps you.

ckgb

Should Diagnostic incl smoke test determine problem (P0442)?

Postby ckgb » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:03 am

I just started having the same problem (code P0442).

When the engine light came on a couple of days ago I took it to a shopp on my way to work as I am 5 months pregnant and was concerned about safety. I trusted that they would only sell me what I needed. They told me that they would have to complete a diagnostic test (including a smoke test) for $100 to identify the issue.

After a few hours the shop called to tell me that an evaporator code was found and it was a possibly due to a loose gas cap. They tightened the gas cap (did not even suggest a new one) and cleared the code and told me to pick it up. They also said that if the engine light came back on that they would charge straight time to investigate and fix the problem. I should mention that they also suggested hundreds of dollars in tune up and maintenance charges, which I declined as the vehicle is on a 2 year lease and we are returning it in a couple of months.

The light came back on yesterday, when I got home I did some research on the internet and read that if you turn the key on and off three times the computer will give you a code. The code was P0442 which I read to be a EVAP emission control system leak.

I guess my question is ... shouldn't the diagnostic test and smoke test have revealed what the issue was?? I feel that they charged me $100 to simply determine what the problem was - the durango has a computer that would have told them the same thing if they just turned the key a few times.

You mentioned a smoke machine several times in other posts... should this have identified the issue?? Was the $100 charge fair for what they accomplished?? Should I bring it back to them again to find the true problem and have it fixed??

Thanks in advance for any input that you can provide.
:D
Christy

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi Christy!
Did you have this checked at a dealer or an independant. I work at a Dodge dealer and I don't believe that turning your key like that will reveal the po442 code. You could reads codes that way on older chryslers provided the check engine light bulb wasn't burnt out. 100 dollars for reading the code and performing the smoke test is fair if they had fixed it but tightening the gas cap obviously didn't fix it unless somebody has loosened it on you! So no the smoke test wasn't performed properly if it was at all because it would have likely still leaked smoke past the cap if in fact it was leaking from there in the first place! The most common place for the systems to leak besides the gas cap is at the service port under the hood, the hoses at the purge solenoid, and the hoses around the fuel tank. All of which can be checked visually without a smoke machine. The firts thing I would do if I were you is buy a new gas cap from the dealer and install it yourself and then disconnect the battery to clear the codes and then drive the truck for a few days and see what happens. If the light comes back on it's not the cap. Then check the hoses yourself. If this work was done at the dealer take it back and tell them you want it rechecked. Like I've said many times in other posts the dealers scan tool will run a test after repairs are made to verify that the system is not leaking. I haven't seen a scan tool outside of the dealers that will do this yet and believe me I own my own SnapOn scanner and it won't run this test. Ask to see the smoke machine that the shop you took it to used.
Unfortunately this scenario plays out to much every day in shops either because the techs aren't familair with how an evap emissions system works and or they don't have the scanners and machines to diag the system properly. Give it a couple of days with the new cap and let me know what develops.

good luck and keep me postted

Jeff

lynster

YEPpers..... evap leak found

Postby lynster » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:46 pm

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab w/ 4.7L Magnum V8
DTC codes P0442 and P0455 (Innova 3030 reader)
These codes seem to be a common theme on these vehicles.....
Anyway, after reading several posts in this forum (a GREAT reference tool, BTW), I went right to the evap cannister area.
With the engine running.... you could hear the sucking, whistling sound a vacumm leak can make. Found a large split on the cannister end of the outer elbow of the 14'" hose that runs between the cannister and the LDP. Taped it up until I can get to the parts place to buy some 14.5mm evap hose. Think I'll get about 2ft and replace all of it.

Jeff Compton..... you're a gentleman and a scholar. Keep up the good work.

Thanks all,

Lynster :)

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:02 pm

Thanks Lynster, Compliments are nice to hear! Keep me in mind if anything else develops on your truck. I see alot of things on those heare at the dealer

Cheers

ceyjr

Re: Should Diagnostic incl smoke test determine problem (P04

Postby ceyjr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:02 pm

I have a 2002 Durango and recently got the same code - ironically two days after taking it to a dealership to take care of a code p0340. I had checked the code by turning the key on and off three times - which works - but was convinced by the service tech that I should let them diagnosis it just to be sure - to the tune of $100.
I'm going to take the battery cables loose to reset my check engine light - tighten my gas cap - and see if that takes care of the problem before I take it back to the dealership.
I had the same thing happen to a 1999 Ford Windstar and it cost me over $600 to have a 50 cent hose replaced. It supposedly took them 6 hours to find the leak - nothing was ever mentioned to me about a smoke test. :?
ckgb wrote:I just started having the same problem (code P0442).

When the engine light came on a couple of days ago I took it to a shopp on my way to work as I am 5 months pregnant and was concerned about safety. I trusted that they would only sell me what I needed. They told me that they would have to complete a diagnostic test (including a smoke test) for $100 to identify the issue.

After a few hours the shop called to tell me that an evaporator code was found and it was a possibly due to a loose gas cap. They tightened the gas cap (did not even suggest a new one) and cleared the code and told me to pick it up. They also said that if the engine light came back on that they would charge straight time to investigate and fix the problem. I should mention that they also suggested hundreds of dollars in tune up and maintenance charges, which I declined as the vehicle is on a 2 year lease and we are returning it in a couple of months.

The light came back on yesterday, when I got home I did some research on the internet and read that if you turn the key on and off three times the computer will give you a code. The code was P0442 which I read to be a EVAP emission control system leak.

I guess my question is ... shouldn't the diagnostic test and smoke test have revealed what the issue was?? I feel that they charged me $100 to simply determine what the problem was - the durango has a computer that would have told them the same thing if they just turned the key a few times.

You mentioned a smoke machine several times in other posts... should this have identified the issue?? Was the $100 charge fair for what they accomplished?? Should I bring it back to them again to find the true problem and have it fixed??

Thanks in advance for any input that you can provide.
:D
Christy
:roll:

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:49 am

does the 100 dollars include the smoke test?

Joshua34

Re: P0442 small & P0455 large evap emission control sys leak

Postby Joshua34 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Christy,

Sorry to have to say this, but my own opinion is that you where not treated fair. For the $100 your suv should have been coded and the problem should have been fixed. If I were you I would not take it back to the place you took it, I would find someone else to fix the problem, and that is only if you are unable to do it yourself.

Josh

audiodave

Re: P0442 small & P0455 large evap emission control sys leak

Postby audiodave » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:26 pm

I have a 2002 Durango 5.9L. About a year ago the P0442 and P0455 codes came on. I tried the gas cap first and it was not the problem. I found a split in the hose that connects the canister to the plastic tube that goes up to the engine compartment. The canister is in the rear inside the frame rail and near the gas tank. Since then I have had the code reappear several times. Each time I find another minutely cracked hose (code P0442 only) and replace it. The next round of leaks were in the hoses in the engine compartment. Then another hose from the canister to the gas tank. Once you start to have leaks, it is time to replace all the hoses. I wonder if today's fuel with alcohol is causing the hoses to deteriorate?

Return to “OBD-II P1000-P1999 Powertrain Codes [Archive]”