03 Dodge Caravan w/ P0442 and P0455 codes

Forum rules
Please use this link to ask a question: https://www.obd-codes.com/ask
hlcueva

03 Dodge Caravan w/ P0442 and P0455 codes

Postby hlcueva » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:58 am

I have a 2003 caravan that I purchased used and found out it is out of warranty as of April 1... isn't that always the case. :? It has just over 29,000 miles. The check engine light came on and the code it was diagnosed with is P0442 and P0455. The place we took it to did not have the smoke machine to see where it was and recommended going to a dealer to have them fix it. Called the dealer and they wanted to charge us $100 to run the diagnostics again... we would rather avoid that since we know the codes and are on a tight budget. The gas cap did check out ok so we know it wasn't that. Is there something we can do ourselves to fix it? If not what would be your recommendation on where to take it outside the dealer and do you know roughly how much we would be looking at?

Thanks!

Heather

jeff compton

evapcodes

Postby jeff compton » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:28 am

how was the gas cap checked, visually? I change lots of them at the dealer that look fine but the valve in the cap won't hold pressure, aftermarket caps seem to do the same thing. gas cap is the #1 failure for those codes, the LDP vent valve is also common, there are tsbs about this, I have seen filler necks rust out prematurely as well on 03 vans that give those codes, the evap lines under the air box and at the green capped service port also common places to look. There is also a vaccum hose that goes between the 2 cannisters under the van that cracks alot. you don't need a smoke machine to fix this but it does save alot of time, I fix probably 95% of them by visual inspection of the whole system first. The fasttest way is at the dealer because there scan tool will run a verifications test after repairring or replacing anything to and tell you whether the system is sealled or not, no driving to wait and see.
If you have an original gas cap on there or a jobber change it first and check all the spots i talkked about.

good luck and keep me postted, I fix alot of those hear at the dealer
Any good shop should have a smoke machine by now, if not they are already really far behind!!

Jeff

hlcueva

Postby hlcueva » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks... I will try the gas cap first and see if that helps. I'm not sure how they checked it at the shop.. they just noted on the paper that the "gas cap appears fine" so maybe they just looked at it. It should be the original one on there. We got the van from my grandpa so I will verify with him. Will let you know what happens. If not we have an appt. with the dealer on Friday. I just would hate to have to put out the $100 for diagnostics if it has already been run.

Heather

jeff compton

evap code

Postby jeff compton » Mon May 01, 2006 8:13 am

100 dollars is actually quite fair for being done at the dealer, be sure to use a mopar cap and I'd suggest waiting to see if the light comes back on before making the appt with the dealer, you might save a 100 dollars.
As well tell them that the cap has been replaced and the code clearred after and it came back when you drop the van off, the most accurate way
of testting is when the tank is over a quarter tank and under 7/8 so if you take it in right full or almost empty the results can be less accurate. Like I said in my last post there scan tool can run a systems test after the repair has been made so if the tech did his job right you shouldn't have the light return. Good luck

Jeff

hlcueva

Postby hlcueva » Sun May 07, 2006 8:26 am

Well the gas cap didn't work, so we took it on into the shop. It was a leak in the pump to the gas tank... I don't remember what the tech called it though, but it seems to have fixed it. Thank you for your help!

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Mon May 08, 2006 7:44 am

leak detection pump?

vedatakgun

Jeff, can you be more specific?

Postby vedatakgun » Wed May 31, 2006 9:33 am

Hello;

I am having the same issue with the check engine light. A mechanic already fixed the evap lines but still having the light turning on every other week. He checked the code again and said that there is a small leak somewhere.

I am planning to try the gas cap first. Jeff, can you be more specific on the other items to check like LDP vent valve, filler necks, evap lines under the air box, service port, vacuum hose? Where exactly are those? DO you have any picture or can we find them somewhere?

Best regards,

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed May 31, 2006 11:24 am

what year of van? what engine? how much mileage?
The LDP vent valve is next to the cannister on some vans, can give you a leak code even when there is no visible leak because the system vaccum is bleeding off require more cycling of the pump, valves etc. Remember the PCM can not physically see a leak, it determines the system integrity by looking at pump and valve duration and O2 readings to see that the exhaust leans out or richens when the vapours are introduced through the intake. I'd need to know more about your van and what your mechanic has worked on? did anybody use a smoke machine to test it?

good luck and keep me postted

Jeff

tiggrrr777

Postby tiggrrr777 » Wed May 31, 2006 3:51 pm

Jeff -

We have a 2001 Dodge grand caravan and also have the p0455 code coming up. First it came up after recently having filled up the gas tank while the ignition was on accessory. So we cleared out the code and ran fine and passed our emissions test. Then it came on again a few days after the emissions test, but they had me run the engine with the gas cap off and put it back on crooked. So we fixed that and cleared out the codes again.

It's been off for about a week and now the light comes on again. We're thinking that since we just passed our emissions test and don't need to do another one for three years, is there any damage in continuing to run the engine with this issue recurring? Is it just that the emissions are not optimal? Or will continuing to drive the vehicle with this problem cause further (and more expensive) damage to occur? We have about 75K miles on the engine at this point. We may try the gas cap replacement method yet, but they did test that at the emissions site and it came up fine, so not sure if that would help at all.

Thanks for the help!

Karen.

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed May 31, 2006 4:05 pm

a gas cap testter isn't always accurate unforutnately, differnet valving between the caps means that It can hold pressure for a certain period of time in the testter but still leak fumes once it's reinstalled in the filler neck and the temperatures and other variables change, It doens't really do any harm to the engine if the light is on with an EVAP type code but unfortunately if the pcm stores other faults for other systems like the Transmission, MIsfire Monitor, Oxygen sensor etc you might not be aware of them because you assume the light is on only for the Po455 code, I'm a big believer in fixing any check engine light regardless of how it makes the vehicle run, it's there for a reason, most evap codes are relatively inexpensive to repair provided the proper mechanic has the proper tools to diag it and repair it, like you'll see in other posts 95% of the time it's the gas cap or a cracked vaccum hose. Most can be found with just a visual inspection of the lines and hoses. If you want try a new gas cap, I'd recommend a dealer one, some aftermarket caps aren't valved correctly so you still end up with the light on and check the lines in the system especially around the gas tank and charcoal cannister.

I work at a chrysler dealer so I can probably help you with this

Jeff

tiggrrr777

Postby tiggrrr777 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:29 pm

Jeff -

Thanks for the timely help! We are going to try replacing the gas cap and see where that gets us...yes, with an OEM part. My husband works for a company that manufactures auto parts, so we're believers in using OEM parts. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue. Unfortunately, the timing stinks as we're expecting a baby any day now, so we don't want to take it into the shop or anything for a bit here (I can't be without transportation to the hospital at a moment's notice). So knowing that we can let this code go for awhile is good. We'll just keep checking the codes periodically to make sure another code doesn't pop up as well.

When you say that most evap codes are "relatively inexpensive" to repair, how much are you talking about? Just trying to get a handle on what we could be looking at if it's not the gas cap.

Thanks again for the help.....learning how to check the OBD codes was a lifesaver! And since we prefer to do as much ourselves as possible, it's been a bit $$ saver as well!

Karen.

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:23 am

assuming a door rate of approx 80 dollars an hour and requiring no major parts, like an LDP, or a cannister then I would say under 250, Most of the time at the dealer I diag those codes and repair the hose in under an
hour but like I statted in other posts my scan tool at the dealer will allow me to run a systems test after the repair is done to verify the system is sealled plus I have smoke machine, the most expensive repair I've done myself on a van was having to replace the filler neck because it had rustted small holes in it beneath the cap that would leak. Under the air filter box is a good place to look and so are the lines byt the fuel tank

Jeff

mnarub

2002 Dodge Caravan

Postby mnarub » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:11 pm

I have also similar codes i.e P1684, P0455.

After reading answers to other post, I changed the ga cap. But I dont know how to reset the fault codes.

Can some body help me please?

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:48 am

use a code reader or disconnect the battery neg for a few mins

bcarol

same issue with the 2001 Caravan

Postby bcarol » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Wow, there seems to be alot of posts for this very issue.
Not good. Anyway, my mechanic changed the gas cap
(with a chrysler cap) and the light came on a week later.
My mechanic can find no leaks etc... and the van is fully
tuned upon our last visit. This issue happened last year as
well resulting in our replacing the cap then. The issue came
back though. What can be done and has Chrysler addressed
this problem to date? I've found nothing on their recall pages.

Sincerely, brenda

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi brenda!

Chryslers Gas caps aren't any more prone to failure then the GM or FORD
caps at least according to my experience or that of the other mecahnics
at dealers that I consult with. Alot of caps do get changed though because it's a cheap guess and it is a part with a high rate of failure versus some solenoids, valve etc that are in the system. Unfortunately 1 mechanic might fix a po442 code with a cap and from then on alot of people try to mirror that scenario. My own experience is that those codes are more often caused by cracked vaccum lines in the evap system. Like my other posts have stated it varies on where they are locatted but often under the air box, at the service port fitting, at the purge solenoid. If you're mechanic couldn't find it then he's probably not equipped with a smoke machine to pressurize the system and find the leak. It really can be anything from a rustted filler neck, fuel pump seal, vaccum line on the top of the tank etc. I'm not saying run out and take it to the dealer even though I do work at one but I can almost gurantee they will have a smoke machine and there scanner will run a test after the system is repairred to be sure it's sealled. I have yet to see an aftermarket scanner yet that will run the same test. Most repairs for theses codes come in under 200 dollars at the dealer I work at unless the filler neck iis leaking or the fuel pump requires removal. Hope this helps

Jeff

bcarol

rusted filler neck...

Postby bcarol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:44 pm

Dear Jeff:

Thanks for your reply. My mechanics were great and brought my Caravan to a dealership themselves. I mentioned smelling gas
while walking around the gas cap and although this could have been
just the gas cap it wasn't. The dealership found a rusted filler neck.
It will be repaired tomorrow and hopefully this will solve the issue.

Thanks for your reply.

Sincerely,
brenda

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:16 pm

Hi Brenda

I had two caravans in last week, both 2001 models, both with the same codes, both with rustted out filler necks. I'm glad the mechanics you were using consullted the dealership for diagnostics instead of tackling something they weren't equipped to diagnose. Hopefully the bill is reasonable.

Keep me postted on how you make out

Good luck

Jeff

Clif

Postby Clif » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:45 pm

hey jeff,

thanks for all the good info. i have a 2002 dodge grand caravan and on the vacuum diagram for this vehicle there is a line from the front valve cover that goes to the air box. this line had a large crack at the valve cover and i am assuming this is what could have caused the check engine light with this code. thanks again, Clif

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:05 am

no not likely that line!

Return to “OBD-II P0000-P0999 Powertrain Codes [Archive]”