P0455 Dodge Dakota P0442

Forum rules
Please use this link to ask a question: https://www.obd-codes.com/ask
george b

P0455 Dodge Dakota P0442

Postby george b » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:22 am

I have checked the vacuum lines running from the control unit to the tank and do not find any cracks etc. I have used a vacuum pump to check the system, small line to the control unit from a tap in the line. It will hold vacuum to the control unit. From the same tap to the tank I cannot get any vacuum, is that normal or does that signify a leak??

Also, have PO442 which is small leak. Will replacing the gas cap perhaps fix both trouble codes?? The cap is only $8.00 so it is a cheap try at least.

Thanks

George

jeff compton

po455, po442

Postby jeff compton » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah gas cap is a common failure on the dakota's for those codes, I'd recommend a dealer gas cap though, changed lots of brand new jobber caps at the dealer I work at because they don't seal the same,
probably a little more then 8 bucks though

what year, what engine, how much mileage?

cheers

Jeff

george b

Postby george b » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:20 pm

2003 3.9 with almost 60,000 miles.

I replaced the first gas cap at 18 months and 30,000 miles with one purchased from the dealer. Then the same code came up about nine months later and I found a split hose under the hood by what looks like a tire valve fitting on the small hose back to the tank. Then a couple of months later another cap, this one after market. It lasted about 9 months and now again. I don't think factory is any better than aftermarket.

Really is beginning to piss me off that this happens so oftern. I work with a guy with the same truck but the 4.7 V8. He has not gone throught this drill once. I guess I am lucky though since he replaced his first two tires at about 28,000 mile then two more at about 38,000 miles. I still have the original tires but they will need to be replaced soon.

I have done the heater blower motor and resister pack replacement and the wiper recall and the ball joint extended warranty replacement and the water pump replaced under the 70,000 power train warranty. I have never done these replacements on my Fords. 140,000 miles and none of these items were ever replaced!

Guess my 2005 Jeep Liberty will be my last Chrysler, back to Ford!!

Thanks

George

jeff compton

dakota woes

Postby jeff compton » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:05 pm

It sounds like you have an issue since almost new or new depending on other variables. I wonder if you don't have a faulty fuel pump seal which is quite common on the dakota's or an intermittant failure of the evap components like pump, solenoids etc. The hose splitting at the evap service port with the green cap is quite common. There's also software updates to the pcm that address erroneous evap codes. I know you've fixed the hoses at the service port but I have seen repeat failures occur to repairred sections of hoses if the wrong type of hose is used. Sorry to hear you're sourred on Mopars but as you'll see on other forum posts Fords have there own line of problems like tie rod ends snapping off, ball joints wearing out MAF problems. It's sad to say but all manufacturers have way too many quality control issues. I'd suggest looking for the TSBS that address your issues and maybe look at the hoses around the gas tank and the fuel pump nut and seal

Good luck and keep me postted

Jeff

Mr.Lick

Re: po455, po442

Postby Mr.Lick » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:13 pm

jeff compton wrote:Yeah gas cap is a common failure on the dakota's for those codes, I'd recommend a dealer gas cap though, changed lots of brand new jobber caps at the dealer I work at because they don't seal the same,
probably a little more then 8 bucks though

what year, what engine, how much mileage?

cheers

Jeff

How long do you have to wait after reset to have an emissions test?
I have replaced the gas cap, checked all lines and reset the codes by removing the negative cable.
An emmisions guy told me I would have to wait until the "drive cycles" were stored in the computer again before I can smog...

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:29 am

depends on several variables from fuel level, temperature, length of drives, purge flow etc. I'd recommend using a code reader at the very least to clear the codes though, It can often take longer by just removing the cable. I think the component you're calling the ctrl unit is the purge
solenoid but I'd have to see it, The way you're testting it isn't the most accurate but it sounds like it's working, I'd replace the gas cap with a mopar part and check the vaccum lines right around the tank and along the frame rail

Good luck and keep me postted

Jeff

jmlong

Postby jmlong » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:52 am

I'm getting a P0442 (small leak) code also. But my egine is making an air noise... its sounds someone is running a leaf blower under my hood. I tried to look at the hoses but I don't even know what the EVAP system looks like. I have a Chilton repair manual but I can't find it... any suggestions?

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:13 pm

look at the decal under the hood with all the emissions hoses schematic,
look for a green cap on a tee fitting and trace it front and back, likely the hose is split right there!

good luck and keep me postted

Jeff

jmlong

Postby jmlong » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:40 pm

thanx I'll check it out this afternoon and post what I find.

storkmk

P0455 code

Postby storkmk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:24 am

Jeff, thanks a lot for your multiple posts on various troubleshooting topics. I appreciate your time.

Here's my situation...
2001 XJ Cherokee 4.0l 46k miles
P0442 code started about a month ago. Went off on its own now now it basically stays on. I checked evap lines under hood found 2 lines somewhat loose on manifold. that seemed to correct a faint gas fume odor from under the hood. I have hard plastic vacuum lines between the green cap service port and manifold. All seem to be ok. I've read that you find a common fault to be the vacuum line near the green service port. Should I go ahead and replace the soft rubber elbow connections at the service port and manifold locations?

Now I'm getting P0455. I replaced gas cap with Mopar part. Reset code and MIL came back on 2 days later. I do notice gas vapor odor from rear of vehicle, especially when I refill the tank. No obvious fuel leaks from tank. Of course I don't routinely look at the gas cap but when I remove the cap I see the rubber gasket is wet from fuel. I'd probably expect that when the tank is full but at the time the tank was nearly empty.

I'd like to inspect the vapor canister. I believe it is located next to the gas tank on the driver side, hidden by a metal shield. Is that correct? I've inspected the fuel filler neck and it appears to be defect free.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

--mike

******UPDATE***********
I found the evap canister it was located forward of the rear axle. All connections appear to be fine. I did remove the metal guard that appears to protect the fuel filler neck. I inspected the hose connections and they also appear to be ok, however, I'm tempted to get the filler neck breather hose replaced. I do detect a faint odor of gas near where the two hoses connect to the gas tank...that's why I think I should get the breather and probably the filler neck hose replaced too.??

Thanks for any input ... Mike

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:11 am

get it smoke testted! Don't just throw parts at it! You're time and money should be worth more then that I would think. Proper diag to determine a 10 dollar piece of hose is bad is better then replacing everything under the hood and vehicl just to find out that it's a valve or solenoid.

Like I said I'll deal with those codes on a daily basis

Jeff

storkmk

P0455 code

Postby storkmk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:54 am

Ok you guys ready to hear this???

Yesterday I developed a huge fuel leak from the top front of the tank where the rubber grommet seats on the tank. (Gas is pouring out like water out of a faucet). Have it towed to the dealer and they say my tank is warped where the rubber gasket meets the tank...I need a new fuel tank to the tune of $850 bucks installed. Of course I don't take that news well. Apparently the tank is non metal some sort of composite plastic. Dealer has no idea what could have caused the tank to warp.

So the resolution to my P0455 code is the fuel tank. Apparently the rubber grommet was working its way loose over the last few weeks then completely failed yesterday.

Now for the good news...

I called Jeep customer relations attempting to seek financial assistance with the cost of the gas tank replacement. Long story short, it took me about 20 mins on the phone with the Jeep cust relations rep to have them agree to replace the tank free of charge!!! How about that eh?! To me, a gas tank isn't a wear item and should last the life of the vehicle, and obviously Jeep corporate agreed. They've won me over from a brand loyalty perspective without a doubt.

I went from "damn it I'm trading this pos in for an import" to "I may never own anything but a Jeep"...

--Mike

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:19 am

rubber o-ring around the fuel pump? Not sure what you're referring too.
Could you sendd me a picture or maybe a copy of there invoice to see what they call it. Never seen that either. Like I said I love my old jeep!
Fuel pumps are a more common problem on those then the tanks themselves. there was a recall as well for some Grd cherokees for a faulty rollover valve or something like that. It's been a while since I did one I just remember that some required a filler neck or or a tank.

Jeff

storkmk

P0455 code / replacement gas tank

Postby storkmk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Jeff, here's the text from my repair bill:

DRB III scanned P0455 6 starts, 0 good. Found gas tank warped, fuel pump and seal fit loosely into gas tank hole. attempted to replace new seal and lock rng, will not fit properly into existing tank. Replaced gas tannk, pump seal and pump lock ring. transferred existing pump and refilled gas tank. Restested for evap leak. Performed LFP monitor passes LDP monitor. Perfomed 3 good LDP tests to extinguish MIL lamp.

So that's basically all I know about the situation. As I said, I'm very pleased that Chrysler corporate paid for the new tank. I was thisclose to selling that beast until they decided to give me a goodwill refund.

Hopefully I'll be good to go for a long time. I do now own an Equus Innova 3100c code scanner...I don't need it for my Jeep at the moment but I've pulled codes for 3 friends cars with check engine lamps on...I should start charging them lol.

--Mike

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Well I'm glad they came through for you like that! It's nice to hear someone have something positive to say about there dealer experience for a change. Like I've said in other posts the beauty of the dealers scan tool is being able to run the LDP monitor systems test after a repair is made to verify the repair was successful. No more just clearring the light and crossing your fingers. The smoke machine and the DRBIII are kinda like a 1-2 puch combo for fixing those codes. My own experience working at the dealer has been interesting seeing vehicles come in with that code that required much less involved repairs but were ignored by the customers because other shops weren't tooled up to successfully repair them. They always seem amazed how most of the time the repair is much cheaper then they excpectted and the comeback rate is so low. The smoke machine that we have is priced at well over 4000 dollars in Canadian funds so you can under stand why the door rate would be a bit higher. It's a system that do it yourselfers can repair if it's visually obvious like a cracked line or leaking fuel like yours but it becomes so much trickier when they're is nothing visual but the code's still there.

Anyway congrats on your code reader purchase, it'll pay for itself in no time

Good luck and keep us postted if anything develops

Jeff

danimal

Postby danimal » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:43 pm

Many thanks Jeff. I followed your advice and you led me right to the problem.

jeff compton wrote:check the vaccum lines right around the tank and along the frame rail

Good luck and keep me posted

Jeff

Located just in front of the fuel tank is the vaccum line. It's actually an odd deal (made of rubber and smaller on one end than the other). It was split on the top side and not visible. Just felt along the top and found the split. Replaced it with some line and fittings I had on hand.

That did it.

I've been battling this for a while. Wish I'da found this information sooner.

Many thanks

Danimal Glendale Arizona

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:38 pm

:D

Spacetoast

Postby Spacetoast » Wed May 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for starting this thread!

My wife's '02 Liberty was giving the p0422 and p0455 codes too and I was lucky to have found this thread.

I wanted to add what I discovered with our Jeep.

I checked all the hoses near the gas tank and evap unti as was suggested, but everything seemed to be fine. I also checked the gas cap and hoses from there to the tank and all seemed to be well.

Then, I followed the rigid tubes that run along the driver's side rail until where the went up into the engine cavity. There are a couple of short rubber hoses there to make the turn up into the engine compartment and these were cracked pretty bad.

I'll probably replace them soon. I haven't yet, but I can't imagine that they are not the problem (crossing fingers), but I just wanted to mention that there are hoses to check in that location too.

Curtis
Golden, CO

bwprater

Dodge Dakota P0442 P0455

Postby bwprater » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Maybe it's just me, but why not just reset the codes and then go get an emissions test before the check engine light comes back on. I do this every year in Atlanta. I surely don't tell the "emissions guy" about it for God's sake.

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:36 am

why not just fix it instead of cheating the system?

Return to “OBD-II P0000-P0999 Powertrain Codes [Archive]”