2002 dodge caravan P0455 and P0422 and faulty gas gauge

Forum rules
Please use this link to ask a question: https://www.obd-codes.com/ask
pvirtue777

2002 dodge caravan P0455 and P0422 and faulty gas gauge

Postby pvirtue777 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:35 pm

My wife and I have a 2002 dodge grand caravan with a 3.3 l v6. A few weeks ago my wife mentioned that once the gas gauge got to 1/4 it would drop to E automatically. Just yesterday the engine light came on with the following codes P0455 and P0422. Are the gas gauge problem and these error codes related in any way? I followed some of the other posts and took out the air cleaner box but really didnt notice any splits in any of the rubber hoses. We have the 100,000 mile warranty with a hundred dollar deductible but would like to fix this myself if its an easy fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mohawkmtrs

Postby Mohawkmtrs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:42 am

You have a large EVAP leak and Bank 1 cat below threshold.

If it's under warranty, let them repair it.

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 am

You likely have amalfunctioning ldp or the line too it! I remeber seing a tsb for this and I have seen gas caps cause the same symptons! To verify that the cap or evap system is causing the fuel gauge issue remove the cap and see if the gauge symptons ceases! It shouldn't add any addt'l codes because you already have the leak dtcs! Or you could just buy a new cap from the dealer and try it. It's a very common failure. Unlikley your warranty covers any of that!

pvirtue777

Postby pvirtue777 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:01 am

We bought the extended warranty when we got it used a year or so ago and they have fixed multiple problems for us already with no problem. They said that we got the best warranty available. Unfortunately it ends at 100,000 which is in another 8,000 miles. If you guys think it sounds serious I will bring it to them and try not to mess with it. Also I am new to these forums and am curious what a ldp and a tsp are?
Thanks!

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:08 pm

LDP - leak detection pump
TSB - technical service bulletin

fuel injection center

Postby fuel injection center » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:15 pm

HI ¡

Jeff....
I have a question: a bad gas cap can cause a malfunction in the fuel/leveler ?? In which way can affect them ?

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:57 am

excessive vaccum in the tank can cause the float to read erratic!

stuarthagler

Postby stuarthagler » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:27 pm

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 PU with a 5.2L engine. I have had the same error codes as listed in this thread. I found that the large hose coming from the gas tank had dried and cracked and was leaking fumes to cause this failure. I had the same issue with my gas gage as mentioned in previous thred. I had to drop my gas tank to access my sender because of a plastic float part that failed as well as hose failure. I've had to buy OBD II code reader because of so many failures. Just as a side note, my engine had to be repalced at 92,000 mi due to compression failure in adjacent cylinders (4 & 6). I will not be a returning Chrysler buyer! Too many costly failures in too short a time. Chrysler doesn't have good warrenty. I have been a loyal Chrysler owner for years. Owned 1950's vintage cars, a Dodge fargo motorhome, and various other Chrysler cars. Chrysler corp has too many fit/finish/mechanical issues over a broad range of their vehicle line!

jeff compton

Postby jeff compton » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:10 pm

chrysler now has lifetime warranty but that's not good enough! Show me a perfect product that the average consuner can afford and I'll go into business selling them instead of fixing whiny customers cars! Your post has barely enough repair advice to be anything beside a mopar complaint file! Not the point of this site ! be sure to write Chrysler and complain to them maybe it'll make my job easier!

pvirtue777

its back again

Postby pvirtue777 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Well shortly after my last post the light went out and never came back on until now. Guess what the mileage is ??? 100,050 . Hmm how strange it would come back right after our warranty expires. Hopefully the dealership will work with us on this or maybe its just Chryslers way of making money. I work on Computers for a living I know that they can be programmed to do anything at any time. Im so glad the rest of my cars are 1994 and older. Thanks for all your help and hopefully we will get this thing fixed without a hassle from Chrysler.

Return to “OBD-II P0000-P0999 Powertrain Codes [Archive]”