Electrical Codes available on scanners

Also including Hino, Daihatsu
mustafaamustafa
Vehicle: Toyota Highlander 1915

Electrical Codes available on scanners

Postby mustafaamustafa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

Dears
I am an old fashion Auto Electrician i.e. I am capable of all kinds of auto electrical systems, starters, alternators etc. but never used codes readers of cars with built-in computers.
I want to upgrade my capability by dealing with modern cars that have computers and the use of codes readers
Will you kindly advise me of the following
1- Which codes reader or a scanner is the best for reading auto electrical system related codes?
2- What are the codes scanned for auto electrical systems?

Thanks & best regards

kev2

Re: Electrical Codes available on scanners

Postby kev2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 am

The term code reader is for a limited function tool.
You will need a high end tool (scanner) for this as electrical issues will be present in all modules not just the common P powertrain codes.
The scanner will need to be capable of all modules and read several different type codes - there are P, B, C, SRS, ABS, U, series codes and I am sure I forgot to mention some others...Also the ability to see live data to display what the sensor is sending to the PCM/ECM etc.

atip

Postby atip » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

I would advice to buy scanner with oscilloscope or automotive oscilloscope as additional tool with live data examples of some samples.
Dose not matter how good scanner you will have if on board computer dose not give you live data or build in program dose not set code then even most powerful scanner is blind about it also.
Scanner can only pull some of info or read some of live data from that onboard computer, if onboard computer dose not have sensor to monitor or built-in program dose not give data then scanner is blind also. Dose this make sense to you?
If you are beginner with scanner/computers and good skill of automotive electrics then my advice would be to look for middle range scanner with oscilloscope to get used to it or scanner and good automotive oscilloscope to starts with it, then in future you always can upgrade it to something better as there are not cheap to buy and you do not know yet your preferences.

kev2

Postby kev2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:23 pm

My colleague; s correct in adding graphing ability there will be many a waveform for you to observe - with a good background it should all be a quick learn.

Return to “Toyota, Lexus, Scion”