P0455 and P0442 on 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad

Forum rules
Please use this link to ask a question: https://www.obd-codes.com/ask
brooksk

P0455 and P0442 on 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad

Postby brooksk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:12 pm

After attaching my scan tool I retrieved the DTC P0455 and P0442 which point to both a large and small evap systems leak. Why would I have both instead of either one or the other? If I had a large leak wouldn't that overshadow the small leak, or does both automatically register whenever the large leak is detected?

strower

Postby strower » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:46 pm

I have the same codes come up on my 2001 ram quad 360. I replaced the gas cap due to everyone telling me that would be the problem. Then I reset the MIL Light by taking off the neg battery cable. The code came back on 4 day later. It show P0442 and P0445, I think it is the o-2 censor and advanced auto parts has both in stock one is $75 and the other is $50. I do not know if I need to replace both or which one. I did not think it was a big deal until I ran went through a full tank of fuel in and week and only put about 150 miles on my truck. It is running fine but I think the censor may be setting up a bad mixture that is burning through fuel. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. I guess I would start with the gas cap for $13. GOOD LUCK

brooksk

DTC gone; what I did

Postby brooksk » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:07 am

After identifying all the emissions related parts from the manifold connection back thru the gas tank/cap, I used both a Mityvac hand vacuum pump and vacuum gauge to check for leaks within all hoses and parts at the engine side. Eliminating those pointed my attention rearward where I traced the evap hoses to the evap cannisters. I decided to remove and inspect both evap cannisters(located on outside frame rail near right rear wheel). When I pulled the evap cannisters down I could see the evap hoses still connected at the top of the cannisters. Here's where my problem was - the elbow shaped 14mm OD hose running from the 'downstream' side cannister was cracked and splitting. I could clearly see thru the wall. Second, the U-shaped hose connecting both cannister also displayed marginal weather cracking. I replaced both hoses and re-attached the cannisters back onto the truck. Using my Actron Pocketscan I cleared my codes and have yet to have any DTC or emissions-related lights return.
Your situation may be different but a similar approach may work. Good Luck!

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Hey Brooksk. I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport, which is having the same codes coming up as you had. Was replacing the hoses fairly simple? Did you get the hoses at a Dealer, or Auto Parts store? I try to look into things myself, but I'm no mechanic. LOL.

jeff compton

evap codes

Postby jeff compton » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:54 am

Replacing gas cap is always the easiest thing to try first because everyone should know where it's locatted and it's the most common failure
for evap codes. My opinion is always use a mopar replacement because I've had brand new jobber caps at the dealer that I work at still cause the light to come on because of different valving in the cap. If the cap doesn't fix it then the nest step is a visual inspection of the lines going to the solenoids, cannisters etc. Can be anything though from a fuel pump seal, purge solenoid, over filled gas tank, filler neck etc. Common places to look on the dakota are the vacuum lines that run behind the cylinder head and next to the fuel tank. This code shouldn't affect gas mileage unless the vaccum leak was really large, large enough that you
should hear it!. A smoke machine is the fastest way to finds leaks in these systems but not a common tool for do it your selfers, always check the vaccum lines around the test port, it's the little t-fitting with the green cap pretty common place to leak. Good luck and be patient with it, you'll find it

Jeff

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Thanks for your reply. When you say the test port, the little tee fitting with a green cap. Would that be under the hood? And where do the lines for Evap originate, somewhere off the manifold, to the gas tank, and then the canister? When it gets a bit warmer, I will probably check any vacum type hoses.

If I could have your opinion on ODBll scanners. I know some can be more expensive, but I would just want one that would retrieve the codes and clear them, if I were to replace parts, or hoses, etc. What do you think of the Innova or Iequus brand? My son pruchased the 3030 model, which is not too expensive, especially if you can find it on sale.

Webmaster
Site Admin
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L

Postby Webmaster » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:04 pm

This is a good scanner. And for $61, it's a steal:
https://www.obd-codes.com/store/

jeff compton

hose

Postby jeff compton » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:08 am

The Tee fitting is under the hood, the vaccum lines originate at the gas tank and work there way to the frt of the truck, not necessarily the place to start though but like I said a visual inspection is the first check and most of the time the only step required with evap leaks.
Look for anything obvious and keep us postted

Jeff

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:53 pm

I've done a check of hoses that I thought looked like vacum lines, or lines concerning EVAP system, and didn't find anything so far. I might do another check when it gets a bit warmer outside. Could a faulty gas cap really cause those codes to come up? How does one know, when the gas cap is on properly? It says to turn it till it clicks once and that should do it, but what else could be wrong with the cap, or after turning it till it clicks, will the top portion of the gas cap feel sloppy a bit? I'm just a newbie here, so be patient with me. LOL....

jeff compton

Gas Cap?

Postby jeff compton » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:26 am

the ratcheting portion of the cap can still be good and click 3 times but if the valving in the cap is failled then yes you will get those codes

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks Jeff. I will definitely keep trying to find out the problem. You mentioned, that if one replaces a gas cap, they should use a Mopar 1 cap. And that they cost around $12-14. Is that at a Chrysler Dealer, or some other Part Store? I can't believe they only cost that much at a Chrysler Dealer! LOL.

jeff compton

Gas Cap?

Postby jeff compton » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Yeah should be less than 20 bucks if I remember right, It's worth it if you take into account the time you can spend trying other ones that don't work
What's the mileage on your truck, any warranty left, I'm in Ottawa area
Where's Wallaceburg?

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi Jeff. I have some powertrain warranty. The truck has 60,000 km, and I think I'm good for 100,000, or 7 yrs. I'm not positive, for sure. Wallaceburg is down past London Ontario, about 1 1/2 hrs southwest of London. If you look at a map, look at the very Western part of Lake Erie, then just North is Lake St. Clair. From the N/E part of Lake St Clair keep looking East on the map, and you'll find the Hamlet named Wallaceburg! So, in the original gas cap, there is some kind of valve in the centre of it. The rubber gasket looks good, but like you said, maybe it is a faulty valve. Again thanks for taking the time to reply......

AJ

jeff compton

Gas Cap?

Postby jeff compton » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:10 am

yeah you're probaly out of warranty being that you're truck is an O1
If you give me the last numbers of your vin I can get you the part # and the price plus check for any tsbs relatted to your code

Cheers

Jeff

Ajchatel

Gas Cap

Postby Ajchatel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:33 pm

My Dodge is a 2002. Here are my last eight vin numbers. My wife has the truck right now, so these are all I have for now. That is all I needed on Chrysler's Site, to check for any recalls. I hope the numbers are enough for you. If not I'll send the full set, when I get the truck back. Thanks again Jeff! Later......

2S616049

P.S. I can't remember if the one # is supposed to be an O, or a 0. I'm thinking it is a 0.

jeff compton

last 9

Postby jeff compton » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Yeah the last 9 is what they always ask for here

Cheers

jeff

Ajchatel

Gas Cap

Postby Ajchatel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Okay, here are the last 9 numbers of my vin #'s.

62S616049

Hope they help!

jeff compton

tsb

Postby jeff compton » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:28 am

Thers's also a tsb at chrysler that addresses a pcm update for repeatted
occurences of evap codes even though the system is sealled. That would have to be done at a dealer. Dealers also use a smoke machine to pinpoint the really hard leaks to find but some independant shops also should be similarly equipped. Very rarely do I have to us the smoke machine to find the leak. Like I said a good visual often is enough.
The scanner at the dealer will also allow the evap system to run a verification test called a forced monitor after repair to know whethe rthe system is fixed otherwise even after clearring the light w/o there scan tool a couple drive cycles has to be done and depending on things like fuel tank level temp etc the monitor can fail but still not turn the light on

Good luck and keep me postted

Ajchatel

Postby Ajchatel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:18 pm

Okay. What is a TSB Jeff? I checked Chrysler's site for recalls, and could not see any for my Dodge. Where did you see yours at?

jeff compton

TSB

Postby jeff compton » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 pm

TSB, means technical service bulletin, Because I work as a Tech at a chrysler dealer I have access to service web sites that consumers don't
That being said I'll find the tsb # tomorrow and try and fax it to you or you can phone your local dealer and they should be glad to print it off for you. Tsb are just tips essentially released to techs to help us fix vehicles more efiicently

Return to “OBD-II P0000-P0999 Powertrain Codes [Archive]”