URL of this page: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description
Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
What does that mean?
This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer functioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.
EVAP emission canister purge is controlled by a valve which allows engine vacuum to pull stored fuel vapors from fuel tank into the engine to be burned, rather than be vented to atmosphere. A vacuum switch is used to detect when flow exists. If the PCM commands purge and sees that the switch is closed (indicating no detected purge flow) P0441 is set.
Likely, no symptoms will be discernible to the driver, other than the illuminated Check Engine Light.
A code P0441 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
- Bad vacuum switch
- Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
- Open in PCM purge command circuit
- Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
- Faulty purge solenoid
- Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
- Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
- Bad PCM
With a P0441 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
- Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP
- Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister
- Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
- Repair open in PCM purge command circuit
- Replace purge Solenoid
- Replace vacuum switch
- Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or solenoid
- Repair resistance in purge connector
- Replace PCM
Related P0441 Forum Topics
- 2002 Toyota Echo P0440, P0441, P0446
- P0432 & P0441 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 AW4 231J
- "EVAP" code, p0441 Lexus lx570 helpppppp!
- Turn off the "check engine" with codes P0441 & P0405
- code p0441 on my 1996 toyota camry
- 02 4Runner P0440, P0441, P0446
- 96 Buick Century codes P03471 and P0441
- obd p0441 codes pontiac gtp vacuum line issues
- 2005 Wrangler with P0441 code after passing emissions
- P0441 2004 pacifica
- 1999 Toyota Camry (270k Miles) - P0441
- Obd code P0441 for passat 2002
- Code P0441 and Fuel intake cleaning 2006 Toyota Corolla
- 1999 Passat 2.8L P1136, P1138, P0441, P0455
- Toyota Corolla 2005 OBD P0441 & P0455
- I am doomed!!! - P0133,P0420,P0440 ,P0441,P0446
- p0441 code on '96 dodge ram 1500
- 98 prizm codes p0441 po446 po304 po303 po300 po301
- P0441 on '01 Chrysler Minivan
- P0440, P0441, P0446, 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
- 1999 Audi A6 P0441 and P0455
- 2004 Dodge Stratus 2.4L / P0441code
- 1997 Honda Civic P0441(burning lotsa fuel)
- Dodge Ram P0441
- Go to the auto repair forum now to ask your question!
Need more help?
If you still need help regarding the P0441 trouble code, please post your question in our auto repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.
Tell-a-friend - About Us - Contact Us - Links
Note: All information on this site is copyright © 2004-2013 OBD-Codes.com
The information contained on this site is presented as information only. We are not responsible for any actions you take on your vehicle. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.