URL of this page: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0421
P0421 OBD-II Trouble Code
Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
What does that mean?
Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.
You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms. The code may be more likely to occur after the engine has had numerous cold starts in the past 1-2 days.
A code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
- An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
- A sparkplug is fouled up
Measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 1 (the rear sensor, or the sensor after the converter). In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it.
One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.
Related P0421 Forum Topics
- 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.4L, 163,000 miles. Code P0421
- 01 eclipse GT p0421
- 02 Mazada Millenia 2.5L P0300, P0421, P0431
- P0421 Mazda
- 2001 Mazda Millenia P1250 P1521 P0421 codes
- 2008 Mazda 3 P0421 Code
- 2003 VW Passat P0421/P0431 codes
- warm up catalist insufficent in bank 1 P0421
- 2003 Audi A6 P0421 Diagnosis
- Mazda MPV 2001 code P0421
- 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Code P0421
- 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe code P0421
- P0421 Mazda 626 1999 P0171
- 2001 MPV with P0421.....
- Mazda Protege P0421..Failed Inspection Help Please !!!!
- CODE P0421 ON MAZDA 626
- P0421 and multi-cat-conv's?
- HELP - P0421 on Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2001
- P0421 code after convertor replacement
- P0171 and P0421 on 97' Mazda 626
- 2001 626 4 cyl. code P0421
- 2001 Mitsubishi Galant with OBD codes P0421,P0141,P0141
- Go to the auto repair forum now to ask your question!
Need more help?
If you still need help regarding the P0421 trouble code, please post your question in our auto repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.
Tell-a-friend - About Us - Contact Us - Links
Note: All information on this site is copyright © 2004-2013 OBD-Codes.com
The information contained on this site is presented as information only. We are not responsible for any actions you take on your vehicle. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.