URL of this page: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0341
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description
Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
What does that mean?
This P0341 code basically means that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem with the camshaft signal. The camshaft position sensor (CPS) sends a specific signal to the PCM for Top Dead Center on the compression stroke as well as signals indicating the position of the cam sensor. This is accomplished through a reluctor wheel attached to the camshaft that passes by the cam sensor. Any time that the signal to the PCM is inconsistent with what the signal should be, this code is set. NOTE: this code can also be set by extended cranking periods.
The car will likely run with this code set, as it is often intermittent and also because the PCM can often operate the vehicle in "limp-in/limp-home" mode even with a cam sensor signal problem. There may be no noticeable symptoms other than:
- Poor fuel economy (if engine runs)
- Possible no start condition
A code P0341 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Cam sensor wiring routed too close to spark plug wiring (causing interference)
- Poor wiring connection at cam sensor
- Poor wiring connection at PCM
- Bad cam sensor
- Damaged reluctor wheel
Often relacing the sensor fixes this code, but not necessarily. Therefore it's important to check the following:
- Check that the wiring isn't routed too close to any secondary ignition components (coil, spark plug wires, etc.)
- Visually inspect the wiring at the sensor for any burn marks, discoloration indicative of melting or chafing
- Visually inspect the cam sensor for damage
- Visually inspect the reluctor wheel through the cam sensor port (if possible) for any missing teeth or any damage
- If reluctor isn't visible from outside the engine, visual test can only be done by removing cam shaft or intake manifold (depending on engine design)
- If all checks out okay, then replace the sensor.
Related Camshaft Trouble Codes: P0340
Related P0341 Forum Topics
- p0341,p0652 03 ram 5.9l
- 99 pontiac grand am p0341
- 98 silverado p1345, p0340, p0341
- big problem P0341
- 97 monte carlo--- error codes p0341 and p0336 HELP!!!
- p0341 cam sensors vs O2 sensors
- OBD II Code P0341
- 2001 Chev Impala P0341, P0442, P0452 But Not the Problem?
- P0341 Just need a little Insight, ok I need help!
- 1999 Oldsmobile Silohuette error code is p0341
- 2002 Chevrolet Silverado P0341?
- 02 Silverado P0341
- please help code p1166 p0341 p0141
- Go to the auto repair forum now to ask your question!
Need more help?
If you still need help regarding the P0341 trouble code, please post your question in our auto repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.
Tell-a-friend - About Us - Contact Us - Links
Note: All information on this site is copyright © 2004-2013 OBD-Codes.com
The information contained on this site is presented as information only. We are not responsible for any actions you take on your vehicle. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.