P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description
Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
What does that mean?
This P0341 code basically means that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem with the camshaft signal.
The camshaft position sensor (CPS) sends a specific signal to the PCM for Top Dead Center on the compression stroke as well as signals indicating the position of the cam sensor. This is accomplished through a reluctor wheel attached to the camshaft that passes by the cam sensor. Any time that the signal to the PCM is inconsistent with what the signal should be, this code is set. NOTE: this code can also be set by extended cranking periods.
The car will likely run with this code set, as it is often intermittent and also because the PCM can often operate the vehicle in "limp-in/limp-home" mode even with a cam sensor signal problem. There may be no noticeable symptoms other than:
- Poor fuel economy (if engine runs)
- Possible no start condition
A code P0341 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Cam sensor wiring routed too close to spark plug wiring (causing interference)
- Poor wiring connection at cam sensor
- Poor wiring connection at PCM
- Bad cam sensor
- Damaged reluctor wheel
Often relacing the sensor fixes this code, but not necessarily. Therefore it's important to check the following:
- Check that the wiring isn't routed too close to any secondary ignition components (coil, spark plug wires, etc.)
- Visually inspect the wiring at the sensor for any burn marks, discoloration indicative of melting or chafing
- Visually inspect the cam sensor for damage
- Visually inspect the reluctor wheel through the cam sensor port (if possible) for any missing teeth or any damage
- If reluctor isn't visible from outside the engine, visual test can only be done by removing cam shaft or intake manifold (depending on engine design)
- If all checks out okay, then replace the sensor.
Related Camshaft Trouble Codes: P0340
Related P0341 DTC Discussions
- P0341 error code for a 1999 olds 88
I have replaced the camshaft sensor but the error still will come back. The car runs fine, but at times it seems less responsive. I do not see a problem with the wiring being to close to the plug wires, but not sure here. I have read on-line it may be the ignition control module but again not sure h...
- P0341, P0442, P0404. 2000 Saturn SL2
I had these 3 codes come up when my check engine light came on (P0341 (cam shaft position sensor), P0442 (evap leak), P0404 (Es? valve *i cant read the gentleman's handwriting on that one*). 2000 Saturn SL2) i recently purchased this used car from a college friend of my girlfriend as she was moving...
- p0341,p0652 03 ram 5.9l
P0341,p0652 03 Ram3500 5.9l Coughing,hiccup,stalls Other times runs great Changed cam sensor then found out unleaded fuel had inadvertently been put in tank Drained ,cleaned tank new injector pump,new airdog fuel pump new fuel pressure sensor Sometimes runs perfect...
- 99 pontiac grand am p0341
99 Pontiac grand am engine code p0341. Used a digital mulitmeter and test cramshaft sensor and test correct what else should i do....
- 98 silverado p1345, p0340, p0341
Replaced intake gasket 1 year ago and I had problem setting timing after several try seemed to work OK. Six months later left set for a month wouldn't start acted like was out of time. Replaced crankshaft sensor and adjusted distributor finally started Now after another 6 months have problem with cu...
Need more help with a p0341 code?
If you still need help regarding the P0341 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.