URL of this page: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301
P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire
Cylinder #1 Misfire Detected
What does that mean?
A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.
SymptomsSymptoms may include:
- the engine may be harder to start
- the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
- other symptoms may also be present
A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Faulty spark plug or wire
- Faulty coil (pack)
- Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
- Faulty fuel injector
- Burned exhaust valve
- Faulty catalytic converter(s)
- Running out of fuel
- Poor compression
- Defective computer
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
Related P0301 Forum Topics
- P0300, P0301, P0302 and p0303
- P0301 cylinder 1 misfire
- Codes P0301 and P0340
- Help using leakdown tester for code P0301
- 1997 Maxima P0301 and P0325 Help!!
- Mis-firing & flashing engine light p0301
- chrysler v6 2.5 liter p0301
- P0301 OBD on 2001 Ford Windstar...Keeps reappearing
- P0301,& P0316 2004 Mercury Monterey@ 86k
- 2002 Sable codes P1131, P0301, P0303, P0316
- p0401 p0301
- 2003 Mustang Mach 1 P0301, P0303, P0305, P0420, P0430
- 2008 Skoda Fabia 1.2l P0302 and P0301
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2004 - P0301 & P0300 Code detected
- '98 windstar codes P1450 & P0301 can't find problem, help
- 1998 Jeep Cherokee P0301 code help
- 2001 mercedes clk320 p0301 p136 p156
- (Codes P0300 & P0301) Protege 2001 LX 2.0L
- 1998 E150 6cyl automatic P0174, P0171, P0301, P01131
- P0301 - Incurable???
- Intermittent code P0301
- Audi TT P0300, P0301, P0302
- '97 Accord P0170, P0171, P0301
- 2005 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi p0301, p0203
- Go to the auto repair forum now to ask your question!
Need more help?
If you still need help regarding the P0301 trouble code, please post your question in our auto repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.
Tell-a-friend - About Us - Contact Us - Links
Note: All information on this site is copyright © 2004-2013 OBD-Codes.com
The information contained on this site is presented as information only. We are not responsible for any actions you take on your vehicle. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.