P0174 OBD-II Trouble Code
System Too Lean (Bank 2)
What does that mean?
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is generally the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
- There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible solutions include:
- In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
- Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
- Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
Related P0174 DTC Discussions
- 2000 Ford Explorer P0171 P0174
Hello just joined up to hopefully get some ideas on repairing my own vechicles if and when possible , Just bought a reconditioned code reader, an actron 9580 that i just tested out on a 2000 ford explorer xls , 4.0 v6 .The engine light is on and i got 2 readings po171 and po 174 have read some...
- 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 5.3 P0171 and P0174 codes
My check Engine light has been on for approx. 5 months. I've changed Mass Air Flow, claened the thrttle body, smoke tested, had the intake gaskets replaced, replaced the fuel pressure regulator, installed new plugs and wires, replaced O2 sensors, and every time, the light comes back with the same co...
- Chevy Tahoe 2009, Check Engine,OBDII P0171,P0174
Hi, Car - Chevy Tahoe 2009, 107,000 KM, LT 5.7 One week Ago, replaced spark plugs and got injector cleaned thoroughly as it was giving check engine symbol with P0171/P0174 After 2 days, Check Engine Came Again , Mechanic just reset it and we kept it again for observation, everything was fine until...
- 96 F-150 4.9L P0171 P0174
I have the same codes coming up on my engine and I can't figure out what it might be,I have 96 f-150 with a 4.9 the codes are po171 and po 174 can any one help me out I am racking my brains out trying to figure this out.I did replace the oxygen sensors in it and it still does it. ...
- 2003 Nissan Altima P0506, P0171, & P0174 Codes
Would like some help from mechanics that have dealt with this type of issue. My Nissan altima 2003 check engine light went on, and the following 3 codes appeared- P0506, P0171, & P0174. I understood its probably a MAF sensor issue. i did replace it the last time it was damaged (Water wnet up the...
Need more help with a p0174 code?
If you still need help regarding the P0174 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.