P0128 OBD-II Trouble Code
Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
What does that mean?
This means that the engine's PCM detected that the engine has not reached the required temperature level within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. The intent of the P0128 code is to indicate a faulty thermostat. Similar codes: P0125
In determining the engine did not reach a "normal" temperature, it takes into account the length of time the vehicle has been running, the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor reading, the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor reading, and the speed of the vehicle.
You will likely not notice any drivability problems other than the MIL illumination.
A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Low engine coolant level
- Leaking or stuck open thermostat
- Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
- Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
- Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Past experience indicates that the most likely solution is to replace the thermostat. However here are some suggestions on troubleshooting and repairing a P0128 OBD-II code:
- Verify coolant strength & level
- Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it's running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
- Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
- Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
- If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat
- If Nissan vehicle, check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), as the ECM may need to be reprogrammed to correct the P0128 code
Related P0128 DTC Discussions
- 2003 Buick Century 3100 eng codes P0128;P0336;P0440
Have changed 24x CKP,spark plugs,checked coils,fuel pump(aftermarket)plug wires,fuel pressure reg.,fuel filter but car fails to start on 1st crank,mostly on second try but if I crank for #3 it won't fire off until I shoot some start fliud to the Throttle body...I see it as a fuel problem... I'm I ri...
- 2001 Toyota Camary LE P0128. P0440, P441
Hello, Im in a bind. I travel for a non profit; hence funds are limited and I hope to solve my problem with your help. I just bought this car and it only getting 20 mpg. When I bought it I had it checked out. Then engine light. P0441. Did have a louder than normal valve cover noise. I put a can of ...
- Volvo S40 trouble codes P0117 and P0128
Hi--I have a 2002 Volvo S40 with 155K. I have been having some issues lately with the check engine light coming on and the code reading P0128. I have replaced the thermostat 3 times now in the last month (2 from autozone and this last from volvo) and the engine light stays off for a bit and comes ba...
- Troubleshooting Code P0128 ?
I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee with a trouble code of P0128 [i:15dp66e2][b:15dp66e2]"Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)"[/b:15dp66e2][/i:15dp66e2] Is the solution to this problem simply replacing the OEM thermostat or are there other issues at h...
- 2003 Chev Trailblazer 4.2 straight six cyl P0128
code set Po128. coolant temp below thermostat requlating temp...
Need more help with a p0128 code?
If you still need help regarding the P0128 trouble code, please post your question in our FREE car repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.