URL of this page: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0128
P0128 OBD-II Trouble Code
Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
What does that mean?
This means that the engine's PCM detected that the engine has not reached the required temperature level within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. The intent of the P0128 code is to indicate a faulty thermostat. Similar codes: P0125
In determining the engine did not reach a "normal" temperature, it takes into account the length of time the vehicle has been running, the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor reading, the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor reading, and the speed of the vehicle.
You will likely not notice any drivability problems other than the MIL illumination.
A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Low engine coolant level
- Leaking or stuck open thermostat
- Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
- Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
- Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Past experience indicates that the most likely solution is to replace the thermostat. However here are some suggestions on troubleshooting and repairing a P0128 OBD-II code:
- Verify coolant strength & level
- Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it's running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
- Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
- Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
- If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat
- If Nissan vehicle, check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), as the ECM may need to be reprogrammed to correct the P0128 code
Related P0128 Forum Topics
- P0128 code came up and temp gage not working 2001 Olds Alero
- Codes P0100 & P0128 - Chevy Equinox 2006 LT
- Code P0128 2002 Oldsmobile thermostat
- P0125 p0128 code could this just have been clogged airfilter
- P0128 low coolent temp, antifreeze worn out?
- P0128 Low Coolant temp
- P0128 Engine coolant below threshold
- P0410 and P0128 codes 2005 chevy trailblazer LS
- p0128 code on a 2004 silverado
- ENGINE LIGHT KEEPS COMING BACK-CODE P0128
- 2001 Buick Regal - P0128 code
- Check engine light on p0128
- P0128 Coolant Temperature Is Below Specs.
- 2001 Blazer P0128
- '02 Volvo V70 2.4 NonTurbo 75k miles P0128 coolant temp....
- 2001 BMW trouble codes P0128
- OBD II Codes P0128 and P0422?
- 2003 STRATUS CODES P0128 AND P0171
- Go to the auto repair forum now to ask your question!
Need more help?
If you still need help regarding the P0128 trouble code, please post your question in our auto repair forums.
NOTE: This information is presented for information purposes only. It is not intended as repair advice and we are not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicle. All information on this site is copyright protected. If you want to share this article or information with others, please link to this page, don't copy and paste it elsewhere.
Tell-a-friend - About Us - Contact Us - Links
Note: All information on this site is copyright © 2004-2013 OBD-Codes.com
The information contained on this site is presented as information only. We are not responsible for any actions you take on your vehicle. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.